Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Wednesday's Featured Teacher and Freebie... Meet Melissa Michael

Meet Melissa Michael over at
Teacher Treasure Hunter

What do you teach? And where? 
1st Grade, All subjects :), Washington

What is one of your favorite memories in the classroom?
That's a tough one because there are so many great memories!  A few cute ones this last year were a dramatic little girl who would say these hilarious things like "You did it again!  Another fun thing for us to do!"  Or the time she didn't have a snack and stretched her hands up up to the sky and said "I see the light."  Hilarious!  I had a boy this year who was a model student and took everything so seriously.  I asked questions about a Skylanders figure that he brought for show and tell and shortly after that he wrote a long story in writer's workshop telling me all about the history of Skylanders.  I asked him if he wrote it so I would know more about them and he solemnly said yes.  I had a lot to learn!    Each year is full of memories like these!  I'm so lucky to have a little part in their lives! :)

What was your hardest experience while teaching? How did you overcome it.
One year, I had a class that was difficult and had several challenging students.  One of these students had a parent who liked to text me frequently and get updates on how the day went.  I want to be available to my parents and appreciate that they wanted to be updated.  However, I found out that it was quickly draining my time and becoming unproductive.  I had to learn to say "let's set up a time to talk about it and review how things are going."  There's a balance between communication and monopolization!

What advice would you give a new teacher or someone switching grade levels?
I would tell a new teacher to over-plan, be enthusiastic, be consistent and be thick-skinned.  There will be moments of praise from students and/or parents - store them up!  You'll need them for the rest of the times.  You have to be confident and happy in the work that you are doing and not need validation from others.

Melissa would like to offer all followers a 
Freebie!! 
2 Ocean Themed Language Arts Centers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover